Monday 2 April 2012

Hype...

Totals...Twitter 12 Tweets ... Facebook...1 status updates ...blog entry...one in progress...actual productive writing of my novel...nothing I'm editing! Cups of coffee...1 Cupcakes ...1
Music mostly on my itunes this evening; Snow Patrol, James Morrison.

I suppose it had to happen eventually and all this talk about Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L James had to get the better of my curiosity. There has been so much hype over this book, trending on twitter, Facebook followers and countless articles on the Internet and in print it's been difficult to avoid.  The fact that it originated as fan fiction in homage to The Twilight Saga brought to life by Stephanie Meyer is probably what drew me to it, it would be interesting to know her thoughts on this - though I can say having read all four books in The Twilight Saga and all three books in the E.L James trilogy I fail to see the link. Obviously changes have been made since the early days of it being more geared to being fan fiction but I would be concerned if the target audience of The Twilight Saga seek out Fifty Shades of Grey.
In my honest opinion (for what it counts for!) Fifty Shades of Grey is not the usual type of book I would read but I succumbed to the hype and decided to make my own mind up! It's not the worst book I've read but it certainly isn't the best book either, there are lines in there that are (and again in my own opinion I do not wish to offend) that are so overused they are uncomfortable to read, and to say that the main character has issues is a vast understatement!
However the success story for this self published story is something to be very impressed with and just goes to show the power that social networking sites for example have on our reading habits these days it's certainly impressive, all that and the talk of turning this now into a film is nothing to be sneezed at! So while I am dubious about whether or not the story content is my thing I have to admire and applaud the success it's received and only hope that if this is the route I end up choosing for my writing that I can write something equally as captivating to such a wide audience.

Any way enough of that! Moving on from that some welcome relief in the form of a picture taken by my brother who currently lives in France, something so cute I felt the need to share...
This is Colin (don't ask!) he is a french dormouse and is a protected species and was very nearly eaten by my brother's two cats, he has informed me (my brother not Colin) that he has spoken to the cats and explained that they are not to eat Colin. I'm not entirely sure they are going to listen to him but I sincerely hope for Colin's sake that they do!


No comments:

Post a Comment