Tuesday 20 March 2012

Artistic licence?

Totals...Twitter 4 Tweets ... Facebook...2 status updates ...blog entry...one in progress...actual productive writing of my novel...1000 words, Cups of coffee...0 (substituted with tea today!)  Cupcakes ...1
Music mostly on my itunes this evening; Christina Perri

Amazingly today being the first of my two days off I woke up to find the sun shining. It being the first day of spring I wanted to make the most of my time off unfortunately I'd woken a bit later than I wanted to mainly due to turning off the alarm several times. I made up for it after breakfast and making the builder (working on the conservatory that will soon be finished only 12 months after it was promised but in time for the sunshine never the less!) a cup of coffee, then getting dressed in bright colours instead of the usual black and walked into the city.
This was the view from my seat at the coffee shop I sat in to write today...
Norwich is a pretty city and it was nice view and there were a lot of people walking around and lots of children too who looked as though they were on a school trip.
Throughout the day I was engaged in a text conversation with a friend who also has an interest in writing, he's having a difficult time lately but was also saying he was frustrated about not having a computer so felt unable to write. I text him this picture...

This is how I normally write, I'm too accident prone to carry a laptop around with me, not disciplined enough to stay away from Facebook and twitter and I like to see the words on the page. I know it can sometimes be a chore to type it up afterwards but for me its the first stage in my own editing process. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences and that's fine but realistically and at the most basic level all you need to write is some paper and something to write with! I am hoping I have encouraged him enough with a little push enough to get him to put pen to paper.

Feeling pretty happy with the amount of writing I got done today, I'm almost done with the final two chapters in this book, then the first draft will be complete. I decided it was only right to reward myself with a trip to the cinema.
I chose to watch a film called We Bought a Zoo with Matt Damon for two reasons; firstly I'm sure I've mentioned it but I have a bit of a thing for Matt Damon, secondly the film in question is based on a true story of a journalist called Benjamin Mee. A certain amount of artistic licence has been used the location of the zoo, the film is set in America but the zoo that the film is based on is called Dartmoor Zoological Park and is not far from where I grew up (Plymouth, England). I have been there on a number of occasions when it was called Sparkwell, but have not been recently but I really hoped that the film would capture the story well.

I have to say in all honesty I loved it but it made me cry, lots! Of course it goes without saying that Matt Damon was great but the children in the film are brilliant too, as are everyone in the film. I have to say it is a film I would watch again and recommend to others (which is why I put the trailer on here for you to see) but next time I'll make sure I have a supply of tissues. I understand why stories are changed sometimes to make the film appeal to a wider audience and I'm glad they did but I can't help feeling a little sad that it had to be Americanised!
To finish off the day a helping of sparkly vampires care of Breaking Dawn (I'm not ashamed to admit I love the Twilight saga!) with housemate was called for and now I think it's time for bed. I'm hoping tomorrow will be just as productive.

2 comments:

  1. I was 50/50 on that movie, but I'm glad to learn your thoughts. Wouldn't have pegged it for needing tissues either. Thanks for the tip.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,
    The tissues may not be a necessity for you but I cry pretty much every time I go to see a movie, but even by my standards this was in epic proportions. I suppose I felt I should see it because of my connection but I would recommend it. Let me know what you thought if you decide to see it!
    Samx

    ReplyDelete