Thursday 16 February 2012

Not enough coffee!

Writing...twitter (5 tweets so far...) facebook...one status update...blog entry...one in progress...actual productive writing of my novel...not a thing!!!! Cups of coffee...0    Cupcakes ...0  

A thirteen hour shift completed and after the lack of sleep and caffeine I am exhausted! Switched to peppermint tea, what was that all about?
Almost too exhausted to write but I made a commitment to myself that I would try to blog at least a little bit each day, unfortunately having spent so much time at work outside of this nothing much of any interest happened today. So instead I thought I would introduce you to Trevor...


This is Trevor, Trevor the triceratops! The reason I put a picture of him here is to remind me of a book I was introduced to by a friend called (the book, not the friend) The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron. The book taught me lots of things and I think I've kind of gotten off track recently so looking at my bookcase (which is Trevor's home) I realised along with working, trying to inflict pain that I convince myself is good for me at the gym and trying to write as much as humanly possible in the time left, fun is still important.
One of the things the book taught me was to be open to new experiences and encourage my inner child (not sure much encouragement was needed not convinced I've ever really grown up!) and once a week go on a "date" by myself. Before you laugh or say I've not got time for that really thing about it, it can be as little as an hour or as much as a whole day but it is time for you to be really selfish and do something silly or inspiring in order to feed your creativity. Did it work? I'm not sure hopefully one day my novels will support the theory, but it brought Trevor into my life. Believe it or not when trying to think what I should do for my date a thought popped into my head that I'd never had my own dinosaur when I was little and I would have liked one! So off I went to the Early Learning Centre and took about 30 minutes looking at all of the various types of dinosaurs and Trevor was the result. I have to admit I had great fun and wouldn't even let the sales assistant wrap him for me and put him right into my bag instead! Still to this day I can't help smiling when I see him on my bookcase, so perhaps its time to resurrect my weekly dates to see if they can inspire me further?! Who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment